For some of our clients, we recommend the WordPress.com service rather than a custom website built using the WordPress.org software. We can still work with you to create and configure your website on WordPress.com.
Here is a brief overview of the pros and cons. Based on your requirements and budget, we can help you to decide which option makes sense for you.
- Premium Plan with WordPress.com is $129 CAD/year and includes a custom domain name.
- Good choice for simpler, informational websites and blogs that don’t require custom features or functionality.
- Faster set-up time – get online quickly!
- Limitations on features and functionality that can be added to your website. Using their Premium Plan ($129/year), plugins cannot be added for additional functionality. However, with their new Business Plan ($389/year), third-party plugins and themes can be installed. We offer self-hosted custom WordPress.org websites at a lower annual fee.
- Less customization of the layout and look and feel is possible. With the Premium Plan, your choice of theme is limited to the themes offered by WordPress.com.
If you start with WordPress.com, then later want to switch to WordPress.org, your content and media files can be imported to the new website.