SunriseWeb is proud to use the WordPress CMS (Content Management System) for the majority of our projects.
We provide WordPress tutorial videos to our clients. The videos are accessible from each client’s own Dashboard.
Here are the absolute basics for updating your WordPress website.
- Click on “Log in” link on the bottom right of the website or go to http://yourdomain/wp-admin/ (make sure to replace “yourdomain” with your website domain).
- Login with your username and password.
- You will now be on the Administrator “Dashboard” page.
There are basically three ways to display information in the WordPress CMS (Content Management System).
- Posts – Updates that are typically related to a date and time. Posts are listed in reverse chronological order on the Blog page and under “Recent Posts” on the website.
- Pages – Information that is mostly static (doesn’t change very often). Pages are listed in the menu across the top of the website.
- Comments – Replies to posts or pages left by the general public. These are moderated – in other words a submitted comment is not displayed until it is approved.
A) Managing Posts
- To create a New Post click on the “Add New” button at the top or the Add New link under Posts on the left hand side.
- Add the title of the post at the top of the page where it says “Enter title here”.
- Add the content of the post in the text box below the title. Use the toolbar buttons to bold, italicize, strike-through, add bullets, numbered lists, etc. in a similar way as you would with any graphical user interface (e.g. MS-Word).
- Click the Save Draft button to save the post while working on it. Do not click the Publish button until you are ready for everyone to see what you are writing.
- To insert an image place the cursor where you want the image in the content and click on the rectangular “Add an Image” icon beside the words “Upload/Insert”. Detailed instructions are here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/images/
- When your Post is complete, click on the Publish button on the right hand side of the screen. The new Post will now be visible on the website and will be sent via email to everyone on the mailing list.
B) Managing Pages
- To create a New Page click on the “Add New” button at the top or the Add New link under Posts on the left hand side.
- To specify the order the Pages display in the top menu on the website enter a number in the “Order” field. The Pages will be displayed from smallest to largest number and sorted in alphabetical order by title if they have the same number.
To read more about the differences between Posts and Pages go here: http://en.support.wordpress.com/post-vs-page/
C) Managing Comments
Simply hover over a comment with your mouse to display the available actions.
Click on the desired action – e.g. Approve. (You can also Reply to comments when you are viewing a page or post on the website.)